Sunday, January 24, 2010

Man Overboard! Over-seasoning Sinks Ships.

Cooking experiments gone wrong equals hungry disappointments for dinner. I attempted to make a Stewed Tomato, Chick Pea and Chicken Soup, but somewhere along the way the seasonings overpowered the dish. Saltiness battled sweetness, and what ensued was a flavor flop. Coming back from work I was ravenously hungry, and I wanted something that was going to hit the spot: however, this was not the day for it. The problem was that I salted the vegetables prior to adding my homemade chicken broth, which was highly concentrated and salty as well. Like any good captain, I was prepared to go down with the ship but not before trying to bail it out, even though it looked pretty hopeless. I added pepper, but it only masked the saltiness in a peppery heat. Then I added sugar, which just created a weird sweetness. It was a complete experiment, a throwing together of multiple things in a fridge, but I learned the basic lesson of over-seasoning. Salt and pepper seem to be mild and forgiving enough, but used in excess, even these can spoil a meal. So, sorry for the bust tonight; trust me, I am just as sad to see a meal gone to waste. In reality, not every dish is your best and you have to be prepared to live and learn. Perhaps I will revisit and revise this recipe in the future.


3 comments:

  1. I love that you are so honest with your followers. We all take a hit now and again with a dinner that just doesn't turn out.

    We'll learn more sometimes from what went wrong - 'cause those are hard to forget.

    Someone needs to invent a seasoning neutralizer - a culinary "do-over" magic pill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The disappointments only make the good meals taste even more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you see the suggestion Martha Stewart had about adding a potato or something to neutralize flavors?

    ReplyDelete