Those obnoxious highlighter yellow “SALE” stickers were a stroke of marketing genius. Ever the penny pincher, I could not resist picking up a 2 pound package of salmon for just $12. There had to be at least half a dozen fillets in the package – what a deal! Even before the checkout lane, I was adding up the possibilities. Not surprisingly, once I opened the package I realized that $12 salmon was quite a fishy purchase. But I was not going to be a fish out of water with this one.
Puns aside, the way to use not-so-great-quality fish is to give it the supporting role. Sure, that fillet may not look like star quality. But when flaked apart, the taste will make you glad it still made the cast list. Salmon went with swimmingly alongside green onions, tomatoes, dill, and goat cheese, but red peppers, mushrooms, basil, or feta cheese could be excellent substitutes. Really, it was like making a giant omelet, so add you favorites. Using fresh salmon rather than canned allowed us to keep the salmon moist without being chewy. The frittata was fluffy and filling, best served for a “breakfast for dinner” night. Pairing it with a fruit salad, whole grain toast, or even a blueberry muffin would make the dinner complete.
2-3 T olive oil
1 cup salmon fillets, cooked and flaked
¼ cup milk
2 T lemon juice
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 T dill weed
¼ tsp oregano
Salt and pepper
1 small tomato, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
4 green onions, sliced
Goat cheese (separate into dollops)
1. Season salmon with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until flaky but not dry. Flake apart to make about 1 cup of salmon.
2. In large mixing bowl, combine eggs and milk. Whisk vigorously until eggs are well beaten.
3. Add all remaining ingredients, except 2 T olive oil and goat cheese.
4. Heat 2 T olive oil in 12-inch cast iron skillet over high heat.
5. Meanwhile, preheat broiler to HIGH, or 450˚.
6. Once very hot, add in egg mixture. Lower heat to medium low, cook for about 5-6 min, popping air bubbles that may form. Drop in cheese at this time.
7. Place skillet into oven, cook for about 3-5 more minutes.
8. Serve immediately. Makes about 4 servings.