Have you ever had a craving for freshly made guacamole? How about some thick, chunky salsa? Creamy, garlicky refried beans? Big dollops of sour cream? Have you had all these at once?! Then why limit yourself to one, when you can satisfy them all in one dip.
American celebrations entail big food productions, and I love another excuse to make food. However, people tend to restrict dips to holidays, parties, and game days. Perhaps it’s because dips are a splurge to our daily diets, or because most recipes make so much that, without friends, it usually ends up in the trash. Okay, so I did make the dip in celebration of the Super Bowl, and I did share with friends; but this dip’s next destination is not the garbage. It’s being rationed as my lunch for the next few days.
You may have guests who pass up the dip, claiming that it will ruin their diet. The truth is, on average, ¼ cup of 7 Layer Dip has only 86 calories and 6 grams of fat. [The real culprits are those sneaky corn tortilla chips…but they taste so good!]
So, although Super Bowl XLV is over, it doesn’t mean you have to ditch the dips. Explore the possibilities of this 7 Layer Dip by trying crackers, chips, pita bread, and even carrots or celery to make it last all week.
7 Layer Dip
2 (14.5oz) cans pinto beans (do not drain liquid)
1 clove garlic, minced
½ cup sour cream
2 ripe avocados
¼ cup onions, finely chopped
3-4 T lime juice
½ clove garlic, minced
½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Salt and pepper
1 cup salsa (I used canned)
¼ cup green onions, sliced
¼ cup olives, sliced
½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
1. In a sauce pot, boil beans and clove of garlic until beans absorb most liquid.
2. With a stick blender, puree beans until thick and creamy.
3. Layer on bottom of 13x9 pan (I used an 11x8).
4. Next, layer on the sour cream.
5. In a small mixing bowl, combine avocados, onion, garlic, lime juice, cilantro, and salt and pepper. Mash together to make guacamole. Add as next layer in dip.
6. Pour salsa on top of guacamole.
7. Add green onions and olives.
8. Lastly, top with shredded cheese.
9. Chill for about 1-2 hours. Serve with chips.