Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Get the Skinny on My Big Fat Greek Salad


Warmer weather means lighter food. This doesn’t always mean the recipes are easier per say, but today it sure was. Due to the sunlight and a springtime breeze, we enjoyed an afternoon amble to the grocery store. However, I am an overzealous shopper and to avoid being “that bag lady”, we bummed a ride back.
Among my pile of plastic, there was a cucumber. Persuaded to adopt him from the shelf, I wondered where I could put him to use. I was thinking of just slicing him up and having a bit of salt and tomatoes on the side. “But wait!”, called my little white cooling box in the corner of my room. {Always remember your assets. I can’t tell you how easy it can be to forget things – even in a tiny, dorm size fridge.} From this treasure trove emerged a few festive foreigners: feta cheese, Kalamata olives…now that’s more like it!
With the dicing strokes of my chef’s knife, a splash of olive oil and a dash of a few extra spices, I was perhaps a few inches nearer to Greece. But it was light and tasty, exactly what I needed on a gorgeous afternoon – something has to remind me of the sun while I’m down in the cave-like basement call room where I work most nights.
There were plenty of leftovers, which I think I will put over couscous tomorrow for lunch, or maybe on some toasted bread as bruschetta. I think that adding some red or green pepper would have been a great addition, as well as fresh sweet basil. It’s all what you make it, spring and summer offer lots of fresh options.
Greek Salad
Ingredients:
1 cucumber, peeled and diced
1 tomato, diced
Handful of pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
½ cup feta cheese
½ clove garlic, minced
1 T olive oil
Dash of: salt, pepper, basil
Instructions:
1. Dice vegetables, slice olives.
2. Add rest of ingredients. Mix.
3. Chill, eat whenever.

Makes about 2 cups. NOMS: 7

No comments:

Post a Comment