Saturday, March 13, 2010

Coming Clean


I realize that it has been a while since my last blog post. Trust me; it was all against my will. The past two weeks have been midterms and then spring break [but really more like no-class week because many of my classes assigned essays and tests all due this Monday].
Now I am back in the odd comfort of my dorm room. The fridge is still has a “vacancy” sign up since I emptied it last week. The shelves of my pantry have some half-filled boxes pasta, canned black beans and a couple Fiber One bars on them. I haven’t been to the grocery in two weeks; I feel like I am waiting out a drought. The rains will come soon, but as I wait I thought it would be interesting to see how much this whole “cooking at college” experience was going. A little personal reality check.
How Much Money Have I Spent?
I kept a separate bank account so that I could easily check how much I’ve spent. In the 7[ish] weeks since I’ve been back at school I’ve spent $296. Yes, there were a few things I probably purchased in cash, and I don’t even count my birthday dinner in the amount, but overall that’s about $42 a week in groceries. So I have met my goal to keep things under $50.
How Am I Feeling?
I think overall, my mood has greatly improved. I’m in control: my food, my way, on my time! I feel much healthier, maybe even a bit thinner. The key is that now I eat what I want and am fully satisfied. My meals are balanced with everything that I love. Dinner is no longer a game of hit or miss. I don’t need to walk through the buffet one more time in hopes that something will strike my fancy. I’ve got it all here. I don’t keep junk food in the room; no temptations of simple snacks and quick fixes. I do keep the emergency chocolate bar handy, because bad days still do happen. *Wink*
Overall Rating
I would give it an A for sure. Yes, it does take a little time, a little planning, but in a pinch I can whip up something in a snap. I have gained even more confidence in my cooking skills – I hardly even use recipes anymore because I just know what tastes right. I have a fulfilling past time that is both practical and enjoyable. I would not get back on the meal plan if they paid me! [Okay, well maybe if they paid me I would just use that money to make my own food off to the side. College kids never turn down an opportunity for money!] I highly recommend cooking on your own to any student, single, and even families. It’s rewarding on so many levels. I can’t wait to cook up something new this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment