Men are stereotypically called “meat and puh-tay-tuhs” types. Or at least that is what we call it back home. I would have to agree that such a hearty combination is still a man’s meal on a college campus. Most meals using this simple formula are well received by more than just men, I would argue. I loved the salty, spicy taste contrasted with the creaminess of cheese and sour cream. I am slightly tempted to call this “Baked Potato with The Works, featuring Eggs”. The descriptive title is spot on, but admittedly it does not roll off the tongue well.
A traditional winning breakfast combo: eggs, hash browns, bacon, cheese, with a twist. It’s made like a casserole. You might be skeptical, as you tend to like everything separate and dedicated to its specific place on the plate. This versatile dish will become a repeat guest in your kitchen for breakfast, lunch, or dinner – sure to please at all occasions. The potatoes, slightly undercooked, coupled with the crispy bacon crunched in your mouth and cheesy egg mixture gave it the fluff factor. You can leave out the hot sauce if you have tender taste buds, but the type I used greatly added to the full body flavor. At the table, I drizzled a bit of hot sauce, scooped a dollop of sour cream on top and sprinkled playfully with salt and pepper.
Although you might be starting to lament the waning days of summer, you can still enjoy this heated hash.
Hot Sauce Potato Hash
1 large baking potato, shredded
½ onion, chopped
5 strips of bacon
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
¼ cup hot sauce
[I used Bufalo Picante: Salsa para botanas]
Salt and pepper
Sour cream, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 400˚ F.
2. In a skillet, fry bacon strips. Remove and crumble. Reserve about 1 T of the bacon grease for cooking onions.
3. Add chopped onions to hot bacon grease, cook until translucent – about 3 min.
4. With a cheese grater, shred the potato and cheese [if needed].
5. Beat eggs, hot sauce and salt and pepper. Add in cheese.
6. In a medium sized Corning Ware dish blend potato and egg mixture. Fold in crumbled bacon.
7. Bake in oven for about 45 min – 1 hr.
8. Add more hot sauce to your liking!