Thursday, May 27, 2010

Soul Chocolate


Oh sweet enlightenment! I have been awakened; I have tasted the source. I know now for sure that chocolate does indeed have a soul. At first, I denied all possibility. Even when I read the inscription on that recipe blog post, I was skeptical of how it could change my view of chocolate forever. All prior knowledge told me that a better chocolate could not be made so simply. All those modern but false idols: instant pudding, boxes of cake mix, break and bake cookies, etc retained barely a glimmer of the real heart of chocolate. It was heresy to say that the true chocolate dessert would not require milk, eggs, flour or butter. Until now. The hardest part now is trying to not make batches and batches of this enlightened dessert. Let the source of chocolate be revealed…

This chocolate dessert is nearly incomparable to anything other one you’ve tried, and the weirdest thing is that it’s vegan. Like I said, I was skeptical at the beginning. But I found the taste to be pure chocolate bliss. Its consistency is heavier than a mousse, but richer than even old-fashioned pudding. The texture has the clean, cold feeling of ice cream, but is too smooth a finish to be considered frozen. So what shall we call this indescribably delectable chocolate treat? Soul Chocolate.

The recipe was one I got from the Voracious Vegan cooking blog. I adapted it a bit for my kitchen [using sugar instead of agave nectar, although my roommate happens to live off the stuff]. The best part of this dessert is the richness, which makes it last longer than such a dessert usually would.

Soul Chocolate

Ingredients:

1 14 oz. can coconut milk [full fat]

6 oz semi-sweet chocolate [I used the baker’s brand]

3 T white sugar

½ t vanilla extract

Pinch of cinnamon

Pinch of nutmeg

Instructions:

1. In saucepan, heat coconut milk over medium-low heat to a gentle simmer.

2. Meanwhile, chop up chocolate into small pieces with large knife.

3. Put chocolate, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg into food processor.

4. Pour hot coconut milk over the ingredients in the food processor. Process until thoroughly mixed.

5. Put in container, cups, glasses [however you want to present it] and chill for at least 5 hours.

6. Enjoy the essence of soul chocolate!

1 comment: